Monday, May 26, 2014

Edgar's Mission Week: A Card Inspired by Polly

For a little while now, I've been thinking about doing theme weeks on my blog.  I don't have it in me to blog every day or very often [normally, anyway], but I thought that if I did a theme week where I could also talk about something I really care about beyond the craft projects, I might be able to pull off 3 or 4 posts during that week...just because I care about trying to help spread the word about animal causes. :o)  

When I first heard about Edgar's Mission Farm Sanctuary several weeks ago, I knew I wanted the first theme week to be about them!  I'm so moved by what they do for animals and what they stand for.  Their message is one of compassion, cruelty-free living, and kindness towards all animals.  I first heard about them because of Leon Trotsky's story, and I spent hours reading their website soon after -- I loved them immediately.  Even though I'll probably never get to visit Edgar's Mission, it's one of those places that I'm just glad exists in the world.

Their blog warms my heart every time I visit -- it's beautifully written and has many photographs of the Edgar's Mission animals that will make you smile and turn your heart into a puddle of mush.

Earlier today, they wrapped up their Raising the Roof appeal, which was a fundraiser for their new forever home -- they're moving!  They had special thank you gifts that supporters could choose from.  One was "Be the apple of Polly's eye!", where they will plant a fruit tree in the pig paddock for each supporter who chose that gift.  It makes me so happy just thinking that we'll get to be a part of the new Edgar's Mission in some way!  And so, today's project was inspired by Polly. :o)


:o)
I tried to colour the pig to look like her, but I don't think I captured her look very well!  I didn't have quite the right colours of markers, and then I got really carried away with the shading!  Heh heh.  I took the shading too far, folks.  Maybe this is Polly after a good roll in the mud? :D  She has grey patches around her eyes, but I think I coloured them a little too large!  Even with my not-quite-accurate colouring, this card was made with a lot of love. :o)  You can see some Polly pictures here, here and here!  The slideshow on their homepage also has an adorable picture from her 4th birthday party [click on photo #9!].

I have a handful of much-loved farm animal stamp sets in my craft stash already, though for a while now, I've wanted stamps that have a little more detail in the illustrations of the animals.  I found exactly what I was looking for in the On The Farm stamp set by Stampendous, which is where my Polly image came from!  I also ordered the super-adorable Cowlik Birthday stamp set, which was on my wishlist!


I love these stamp sets!! :o)  I really wanted to feature the On The Farm stamp set for my Edgar's Mission week, so I got a bit antsy waiting for it to arrive in the mail [it got here this past Friday!].

I don't want to leave without sharing some very important info:
  • You can help support Edgar's Mission by visiting their online shop, where they also have links for making donations!  All pricing is in Australian dollars [AUD]. 
  • Here is a quick link to their donation page.  There are more donation options, which you can find here!
  • If you'd like to make regular monthly donations, visit this page
  • If you'd like to sponsor a member of the Edgar's Mission family, check out their Best Buddy Program!  For just an extra $5, you can get your Welcome Pack by snail mail -- just check the "Postal Buddy Pack" box when signing up on the individual animal's page!    

I could not possibly leave without sharing this ADORABLE video from Edgar's Mission, featuring Polly and some of her precious pals!  A good heart-warming is only a click away. :o)


Just makes me happy to see them happy! :o)